107 Diablo Facts:
- Diablo was developed by Blizzard north formerly
an independent company known as Condor which was formed
by Mac Schafer ERich Schafer and David Brevik in
- Condor co-founder David Brevik came up for the
idea for Diablo while in high school in those early
days Brevik was already planning out his career in the
video game industry with ideas inspired by games such
as rogue and nethack.
- Brevik actually grew up near Mount Diablo in California
when he learned the name of the mountain he immediately wanted
to use it somehow little did he know at the time that his
idea would spawn a massive video game franchise.
- Shortly after starting Condor the company was hired
to work on a licensed titled Justice League Task Force
for the Sega Genesis while at the Consumer Electronic
Show Brevik noticed another developer was also showing
their version of the same game but for the Super Nintendo
that developer was called silicon & synapse the company
that would eventually become Blizzard Entertainment.
- Before work on the game even started and before even Blizzard
had bough out Condor Brevik had created a design document for
- Brevik said that they pitched Diablo to many people but they all
said RPGs are dead then came along Blizzard who had just
released their smash hit Warcraft listening to what rebek
had in mind for diablo blizzard decided to publish it.
- Diablo was originally described as a single player DOS game.
- Before developers settled on the hack and slash style combat system
the Habla was originally planned to be turn-based fights which would
be familiar to players of many RPGs.
- The team also had an idea for expansions which they described as Magic
the Gathering booster packs so basically it sounds like they were
conceptualizing DLC long before it became as prevalent as it is today.
- the original idea also featured a claymation art style found in games
like clay fighter the Neverhood and Primal Rage, but upon realizing
how time-consuming and expensive it was they decided to go with
3D Computer-Generated graphics this above anything else is surefire proof
that this game was developed in the 90s.