107 Diablo Facts YOU Should Know | The Leaderboard:
- Diablo was developed by BLIZZARD NORTH, formerly known as an Independent Company, CONDOR. CONDOR was founded by:
Max Schaefer, Eric Schaefer, and David Brevik in 1993.
- CONDOR Co-Founder, David Brevik, came up with the idea for DIABLO while in high school.
- Brevic actually grew up near Mount Diablo in California. When he learned about the name of the Mountain, he IMMEDIATELY wanted to use it somehow. Little did he know, that his idea would spawn a MASSIVE Video Game Franchise.
- Shortly after starting CONDOR, the company started working on Justice League Task Force, for The SEGA Genesis. While at the Consumer
Brevic noticed another developer was also showing their version of the SAME GAME, but for The Super Nintendo. That developer was called
Silicon & Synapse, The Company that would eventually become BLIZZARD Entertainment.
- Before work on the game even started, before BLIZZARD bought out CONDOR, Brevic came up with a Design Document for DIABLO.
- Brevic said that they pitched DIABLO to many people, but, they all said,
“RPG’s are dead.” Then, came along, BLIZZARD, that just released their SMASH hit, WARCRAFT.
Listening to what Brevic had in mind for DIABLO, BLIZZARD decided to publish it.
- DIABLO was originally described as a SINGLE-PLAYER DOS GAME.
- Before developers set out on the “Hack-and-Slash” Style Combat System, DIABLO was originally
intended for Turn-based fights, which would be very familiar with players of RPGs.
- The team also had an idea for expansions which they described as “Magic: The Gathering booster packs.”
- The original idea also featured a claymation art style found in games like Clay Fighter, The Neverhood
But upon realizing how time-consuming and expensive it was they decided to go with 3D Computer-Generated Graphics. Surefire proof,
this game was developed in the 90’s.